Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Earthquake! Earthquake!

Today, I was sitting in my bed, and it began to shake.
I thought maybe I was just moving my legs too much.
Then I realized it wasn't just the mattress that was moving.
It wasn't just the frame that was moving.
MY WHOLE ROOM WAS MOVING.
I got extremely afraid.
I didn't grow up on a fault.
There are no earthquakes in Oklahoma.
Unlike all of these West Coast kids, I didn't grow up doing earthquake drills.
Do I get under my desk? Do I stand in the door frame? Is it better to be outside or inside?
I grew up doing tornado drills. I know to go to a central room with no windows.
Get into the fetal position in the bathtub.
If you're outside, you get in the fetal position in a ditch.
None of those things help during an earthquake. Especially when you're on the third story.
I was petrified.
Then I realized. It wasn't an earthquake.
They're doing construction in the creepy lot next to my apartment.
They're just shakin' things up a little bit.

4 comments:

  1. hahahahahahaha i wish you ran outside and got in a fetal position somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! carrie ann! i had the same thoughts the other day! dana was downstairs so i text her to see if she could feel the earthquake too! i was super scared! stupid construction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. alison! that's exactly what i was thinking when i wrote it.

    ReplyDelete