Saturday, April 16, 2011

A lifetime love affair

When I told my dad that I wanted to get a cat, he made fun of me. And told me that I didn't need to get one, because I already have one.

And I was like "Whatchu talkin' bout, Wallace?"

Then I realized what he was "talkin' bout."

My kitty surprise.

When I was about 3 or 4, all I wanted for my birthday was a pink kitty surprise. Maybe you don't remember this toy. It doesn't involve batteries, it doesn't meow or act like a real cat. It doesn't come with its own cat car and cat mall.

It is a pink stuffed mama cat with a Velcro stomach. When you open that stomach, there are kittens inside. How many kittens is the surprise. I realize that to some of you this may sound like the creepiest thing in the world. I, however, think it's awesome. And at the time, this was the only think I wanted in my entire life. ALL I WANTED IN MY LIFE. My mom understood that I wanted it, but I do remember her trying to tell me that in a year or two I wouldn't want my kitty surprise to be hot pink. I assured her I did, and I would.

On my birthday, quivering in anticipation, I opened up my presents, and lo and behold there it was. The most beautiful stuffed animal I had ever seen. She was hot pink. She had three babies. We named the babies. I don't remember their names. I may have even named the kitty surprise. I don't remember her name either. All I know is that of all of the stuffed animals accumulated over the years, this kitty surprise is the only one I have with me at college.

I guess my desire for a cat is really more than just a 2 day impulse, but a 19 year longing.

This is my kitty surprise, by the way. It's ok if you think she's scary. I know that a lot of people do. I, however, think she's glorious.



4 comments:

  1. the kitten's names were like sugar or cupcake or something else little girls name kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sugar plum! that was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha! carrie ann! i'm glad you shared your kitty surprise with the world! she always seems to be staring at me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. she loves you. that's why she's staring.

    ReplyDelete