Friday, October 15, 2010

Houston, we have a problem

Yesterday at work, I was talking to a supervisor about how to make my calls better. The topic was brought up that it is evident when I become uncomfortable in a call.

While trying to find how to mask that discomfort, she asked me, "Are you a people pleaser?" The automatic answer was a resounding YES.

We then went on to talk about how she is, too and about how we both have issues with confrontation (that's for real) and neither one of us wants to ever hurt anybody's feelings or make anybody upset. That is my life. I have no ability to confront people with my feelings. Ever. Ask Dana and Bianca. It's just not possible.

Today I realized just how far this little quirk had gone with the following anecdote.
While studying today, I was listening to my She & Him station on Pandora. So far, this station was fantastic. Every song that came on was wonderful. Then one song came on that was less good. I just didn't like it, so I clicked the thumbs down, you know, so that Pandora could better improve my listening experience. A note popped up from Pandora saying that they were sorry, would take my opinion into account, and would never play that song on that station again. Great!

Here's the problem:


For a split second, I was actually afraid I had offended Pandora. The website. Not a real person, not an animal, not even a life like robot. A. Web. Site. I was actually apologizing to Pandora in my mind and considering un-clicking the thumbs down before I realized that I was worried about disrespecting an online location.


Then I just felt silly.

2 comments: