Monday, April 26, 2010

a question to pose

i have three married sisters.
i have several very close friends either getting married or already married.
the majority of the roommates that i have had over the past 3 years are now married.
i have marriage on the brain.

but my question is not about real life marriage.
it's not about colors
or flowers
or rings
or dresses
or cakes
or shoes
or veils
or pictures
or food
or vows
or licenses.

it's about movies.

there is a plethora of wedding movies out there.
the wedding planner, the wedding singer, my best friend's wedding, my big fat greek wedding, royal wedding, runaway bride, bride wars, father of the bride, the princess bride, seven brides for seven brothers, the proposal, 27 dresses.

obviously, since there are so many, they are enjoyed.

but, why?

it's not that i don't like them, i do. i own a few of those above, and if any of them are on tv, i will watch them. in fact i love wedding movies.

i just had the question pop into my head while i watched not 1 but 2 wedding movies today, why do we like them so much? they're stressful, occasionally horrifying, infuriating, and sometimes sad.

and yet, we still watch them. over and over and over.

maybe we're glutton's for punishment, or maybe they just add the missing drama to our lives. like reality tv.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. People live off of drama. I mean, its why people watch Glee or Lost... right? But I guess one of the things most people also live for in their life, is the finding of the person to spend it with. In this case, its the possibility of reliving what you've already lived through and loved, or prepping yourself to live through something you're waiting your whole life for. A wedding is a turning point. Regardless of when it is. It splits your life in half from the single life to the married life, and its a major decision...

    When I watch wedding movies, I always picture what mine will be like, and more importantly, who is going to be standing next to me... that's why I like it so much, its an enabler for me to picture my own.

    ReplyDelete